Tuesday 17 November 2009

Immigration and the “Third Culture Kids”

My Dad left Lebanon in 1976. It was a year after the civil war had started, and the economic situation of the country had plummeted. What used to be internationally known as “the Paris of the Middle East” had turned into no mans land, and opportunity for financial success was fast becoming obsolete. Companies of the world were moving out fast, and so my Dad, an employee with Kodak at the time, chose to leave his home and family behind to follow his work to Athens, Greece. That was the last time he lived in Lebanon.

The majority of immigration occurs for financial and economic reasons; people who live in a poor or troubled country are given the opportunity for a higher standard of living in a developed, politically stable country. They can make wages that constitute to a fortune compared to what they would have made doing the same job back home. And it works both ways. Poorer citizens of Britain often choose to retire in less developed places like Spain and Portugal (also referred to as ‘Chav land’) where the cost of living is cheaper and therefore easier to live more luxuriously.

General reasons for immigration are as follows:
  • Economic
  • Professional
  • Political
  • Persecution and oppression, including genocide and ethnic cleansing
  • Retirement
  • Sentimental
  • Personal

My Dad says he gained a lot from his travels. His business knowledge is greatly enhances, and he has developed an understanding of many different cultures. But what about us? My sister and I were born outside of Lebanon, and have since been raised in a very eclectic mix of England, Singapore and Dubai. We carry two passports and have never been back to our ‘homeland’ for more than 2 months at a time. We’ve never lived in one property for more than 7 years and have had to let go of many precious things in our moves, including poor rosebud the cat. We are what one might call ‘Third Culture Kids’.

Sociologist David Pollock defines a TCK as "a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The TCK builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership of any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the TCK's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of a similar background”.

I’m not complaining about my situation. I’ve loved every minute of my past. It’s a great conversation starter. I know that my family wouldn’t be able to afford half the things we have now if it weren’t for my dad’s choice to immigrate, and I’ve made some really strong connections with people who are in the same situation as I am. Being a third culture kid has its downfalls (for example I wish I spoke Arabic fluently) but in my case I think the pros outweigh the cons. Luckily a lot of my cousin’s are TCK’s and live in Dubai with me, so I’ve always had a strong sense of family around me, and the ones that aren’t have had to experience the political hardship that defines Lebanon all too often in the news.

Why did you immigrate?
Because of the civil war, and my company transferred me to another location which was Athens, Greece. At that time Lebanon was not safe to do business.

Benefit?
I gained a lot of international experience. Living in different countries of the world enhanced my business knowledge and my understanding of different cultures, and has brought me to where I am financially today.

Would you have stayed there if you could?
Had you asked me this 30 years ago I would have said yes, but now I see that what has happened to me has really enriched me. So No.

What about your family?
Well, my family became enriched because they where exposed to the world, and they have an enhanced tolerance to other cultures compared to young people back in Lebanon. But as a result of never living in their homeland, they have no roots, no real connection. We’ve tried to go back as much as possible but I can see that it’s not their home.

How was it leaving your family behind?
It wasn’t a pleasant experience. But then you get over it and move on. It’s not like I haven’t seen them, but it’s something I had to do to give myself a future.

1 comment:

  1. hi! think you might find our magazine relevant--it's for and by TCKs like you :)

    it's located at www.denizen-mag.com

    coincidentally, i was born in england and lived in singapore, too. did you happen to go to tanglin trust school or the singapore american school??

    cheers,
    suzanne

    ReplyDelete